1. Carefully read the Berkeley Pre-College Scholars: Summer Residential track page. Pay special attention to the Eligibility, Deadlines, Fees, Refund Policy, and Academic Policies sections as well as all the dates and deadlines governing the program. Read through all of our Frequently Asked Questions!
2. Talk to your parents about participating in the program
3. Request an official or unofficial transcript from your high school
4. Review the courses that are numbered between 1 and 99 (undergraduate, lower division) for Sessions C or D on the Course Schedule. You may also visit the Pre-College Scholars Suggested Course list, curated by our advisors. Please refer to the Course Schedule to confirm open seats in courses.
5. Note the Course Number (the 5-digit number associated with each course) and the number of units for the courses you would like to take
6. Pick back-up classes in case the ones you want are full
7. Prepare your answers for the personal insight questions:
• Think about an academic subject that inspires you. Describe how you have furthered this interest inside and/or outside of the classroom.
• The UC Berkeley Pre-College Scholars Program seeks to create an engaged and inclusive community that is welcoming to students from various backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. Beyond what has already been shared in your application, what do you believe makes you stand out as a strong candidate for the Pre-College Scholars program?
(100 word limit for each)
8. If you are an international student attending high schools outside of the United States, you are required to provide documentation of meeting the English Language Proficiency Requirement unless your school country is exempt from the requirement, OR you will enroll only in English as a Second Language course
9. Now you are ready to apply!
To apply to the program, please visit http://precollege.berkeley.edu/residential and click on the Application tab.
10. Application opens February 1, 2024, and closes on March 11, 2024, at 11:59 PM (Pacific Time).
Gather all of the following information before you begin:
• Basic biographical (name, birth date, gender, citizenship, etc.) and contact information
• Emergency contact information
11. Upload a PDF copy of your most recent high school transcript, showing all high school work through Fall 2023 (official or unofficial). The transcript must include the student's full name and cumulative GPA. Report cards are not acceptable
12. Prepare to review with your parents all the following documents which will be included in the application:
- The Waiver of Liability & Authorization Form
- The Release of Authorization for Emergency Treatment Form
- The Consent to Release Student Information Form
- The Student Code of Conduct Agreement
- The Storage and Administration of Medications Form
After You Apply:
Once you have completed your application, it will be reviewed by Program staff on a rolling basis. Typically, it will take 5-7 business days for your application to be reviewed. If your application is complete, you will be notified of your admissions decisions to the program via email.
Incomplete applications will not be reviewed and will delay the student's admission decision to the Pre-College Scholars Residential Track. Please be sure to check your email regularly as staff may email you regarding incomplete application materials. Contact us if you have questions regarding the status of your application.